As posted on Grab a Plate
To me, this Mushroom Taco recipe is magical. Need to make a meal out of next-to-nothing? Poof! It’s all in the magic of the mushrooms!
This recipe couldn’t be easier to put together and you can use just about any type of hearty mushrooms. The original recipe called for chanterelles (which are heavenly!) but I used cremini (cheaper, easier to get your hands on).
I used whole-wheat tortillas for the base of my tacos. Lightly grill them or heat them, and fill them up with this mushroom mixture. You’ll be surprised at how filling they are, too. Looking for some nutritional value in this dish? Mushrooms are full of vitamin D, which helps your body absorb calcium to build and maintain strong bones.
This recipe was adapted from Whole Living.
- 16 ounces Cremini mushrooms (or another hearty mushroom), sliced
- 1/2 Large onion, cut into strips
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Large bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese (more to taste)
- Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
- 8 Small-to-medium tortillas, grilled or heated
- Toasted pine nuts or walnuts, for garnish
1. Use a large skillet over medium-high heat to warm the olive oil and butter. Add the onions and pepper and sauté until the onions soften. Add in the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
2. Add the mushrooms and garlic and stir them as they cook, for about 5 minutes. The mushrooms will begin to release their liquid.
3. Turn off the heat and add in the Parmesan cheese. Remove the pan from the heat. Toss in the toasted pine nuts or walnuts if you’re using them, and mix everything well.
4. Grill or warm your tortillas. When they’re ready, add the mushroom mixture to each, and serve.