This easy chicken dish comes together in just minutes. If you're in the mood for a little exotic flair, then this recipe is the ticket. Slivered almonds, dried apricots, and cinnamon bring a distinct Moroccan flavor to an everyday staple.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 Cups slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 Cup sliced onions
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- One 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup dried apricot halves
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- One 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- Salt, to taste
- Couscous, cooked, for serving
Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds. Cook and toss until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Remove the almonds with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet. Cook and toss for 2 minutes. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring the onions and turning the chicken once.
Add the broth, apricots, cinnamon, and cayenne. Cover, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the cover, mix in the chickpeas, and simmer to reduce slightly. Season with salt, to taste. Serve over couscous.