Mini Shepherd's Pies Recipe
These quick and easy shepherd’s pies use potato flakes and refrigerated biscuits, but you can use mashed potatoes and homemade biscuits if you’re not pressed for time.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup crushed potato chips
- Paprika, optional
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until tender; drain. Stir in the chili sauce, vinegar and salt; set aside.
In a small saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Pour into a small bowl. Whisk in potato flakes until blended. Beat in cream cheese until smooth.
Press 1 biscuit dough onto the bottom and up the sides of each of 10 greased muffin cups. Fill with beef mixture. Spread potato mixture over beef. Sprinkle with potato chips; press down lightly.
Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Serve immediately, or cool before placing in a single layer in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months.
To use frozen pies: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until heated through.