Mini Greek Turkey Burgers with Cucumber Sauce
Even the Greeks know their burgers, and Pillsbury does right by them by creating this authentic turkey burger recipe using their frozen French loaves as buns.
- 1 loaf French bread, or one 11-ounce can Pillsbury refrigerated crusty French loaf
- Cooking spray
- 8 Ounces fat-free plain Greek yogurt, or regular yogurt
- 1/4 Cup finely diced peeled cucumber
- 1/4 Teaspoon dill
- 1/4 Teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Teaspoon pepper, plus more if needed
- 1 Pound lean ground turkey
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- One 6-ounce block reduced-fat feta cheese, cut into 6 (2-by-1 1/2-by-1/2-inch-thick) pieces
- 6 lettuce leaves
If using Pillsbury refrigerated crusty French loaf, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Cut the loaf of dough crosswise into 6 pieces to make buns. Place the buns, seam sides down and 2 inches apart, on the baking sheet. Cut 2 (½-inch-deep) slashes in top of each bun. Bake 19 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the yogurt, cucumber, dill weed, lemon juice, and dash of salt and pepper; refrigerate.
In medium bowl, mix the turkey, garlic, onion, parsley, seasoned salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon of the oil. Shape the mixture into 12 patties, about 3 inches in diameter. Place one piece of cheese on each of 6 patties; top with the remaining patties. Pinch edges to seal well.
In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Increase the heat to medium-high; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until the burgers have a dark brown, caramelized appearance and a thermometer inserted in center of turkey (not cheese) reads 165 degrees.
Cut the buns horizontally in ½. Place 1 tablespoon of the yogurt sauce on bottom of each bun and top with lettuce leaf, burger, and the top of the bun. Secure each sandwich with toothpick; serve with remaining sauce.