It’s been chilly outside, and hot chocolate is my favorite bedtime drink. Combine a bit of luscious chocolate, some healthy OJ, and, yes, a chocolate orange stout along with some spices that shriek Mayan. This drink was inspired by a trip to the Breckenridge Brewery, where a chocolate orange stout had just debuted. Forget the kids; this one’s for you!
- 2 Cups water OR 1 cup Cholaca
- 1/2 Cup stout
- 1/2 Cup orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 Teaspoons vanilla OR seeds scraped from 1/2 a vanilla bean
- 2 1/2 Ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 12-ounce can stout, plus extra for topping the hot chocolate
- whipped topping, candied orange slices, or chopped chocolate, for garnish
In a saucepan, combine water OR Cholaca, stout, orange juice, honey, allspice, cinnamon, and vanilla. Bring to a simmer.
Pour over chopped chocolate and whisk together until chocolate is melted and the mixture is emulsified.
Strain into mugs and top off with stout, if desired. Add your choice of garnishes. Sit back in front of a roaring fire and enjoy.