- 1 Pound anchovies in salt
- Coarse sea salt, to cover
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3/4 Cups white-wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 1 fat clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 chile, sliced thinly
- 1/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Toasted bread, for serving
Remove the spines from the anchovies with your fingers, gently easing them out.
Rinse the anchovies in cold water. Place them in a single layer in a dish and add the juice of 1 lemon and vinegar. Marinate for 30 minutes.
Rinse them again and squeeze gently between sheets of paper towels or in a clean kitchen towel. Lay them on a serving dish and dress with the onion, garlic, chile, the remaining lemon juice, oil, and parsley. Leave them to marinate for 3 hours or up to overnight. If the oil sets in the refrigerator, wait for them to reach room temperature before eating. Serve with toasted bread.