You can either make your own from-scratch cornbread using your favorite recipe, or use a gluten-free cornbread mix for the base of this recipe.
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 Cup small diced celery
- 1/4 Cup small diced jalapeño, divided
- 2 Cups small diced mango
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can of corn, drained
- 6 Cups cooked cornbread, diced
- 1/2 Cup small diced white onion
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Cups chicken stock, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, optional
- 1/2 Cup diced scallions, green part only
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees °F.
Grease a 9x13 pan or cast iron skillet liberally with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
Make the cornbread and set aside to cool.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 4 tablespoons of butter.
Add celery and onion with ½ teaspoon salt.
Sauté until tender and golden, approximately 3 minutes.
Add 1/8th cup diced jalapeño and sauté for 1 minute.
Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
Add the fresh mango and continue sautéeing for 2 minutes.
Carefully move the cooked ingredients to a medium sized bowl.
Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of chicken stock.
Turn off heat and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, parsley, remaining chicken stock, coriander, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and chipotle pepper, if using, until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
If the chicken stock is still hot, slowly temper the hot liquid into the large mixing bowl to prevent the eggs from curdling.
Add the cooked mango mixture to the mixing bowl followed by the can of corn and reserved diced jalapeño and scallion.
Add 6 cups diced cooked cornbread to the liquid mixture and gently mix by hand until well incorporated.
Move the mixture into the greased pan and place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
If baking in a muffin tin, fill the wells 3/4 of the way full and bake for 30-minutes.