Maine Lobster Mac and Cheese
This is a decadent side dish for a holiday feast, thanks to mascarpone and goat cheeses, black truffles, and butter-sautéed Maine lobster. The original directions call for it being plated, it also works to prep it in advance and keep it covered in a warm oven. For added crunch, top it with panko flakes and melted butter, and set it under the broiler for a few minutes. Serve it with a rich white Burgundy. Recipe courtesy of chef Margaret McLellen.
- 1 Pound high quality dry pasta (shells, or another shape that will hold sauce well)
- 8 Ounces mascarpone, at room temperature
- 4 Ounces creamy goat cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Ounces heavy cream, at room temperature
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 Ounce minced black truffles (optional)
- 1 Pound salted butter, cut into 1-inch chunks, at room temperature
- 1½ Pound pounds freshly cooked Maine lobster meat, tail cut into 1-inch medallions, and claw/knuckle into 1-inch pieces
- 3 black winter truffles, thinly sliced (optional)
Bring 2 gallons of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta, and cook according to package instructions, until the pasta is al dente. Strain and return to the pot.
Add the mascarpone, goat cheese, and heavy cream to the pasta in the pot. Add the sea salt, nutmeg, pepper, and minced truffles, stirring gently. (Do not over stir.) Cover and keep warm.
Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a heavy, deep sauté pan. Reduce the heat to low, and add the butter, one or two chunks at a time, whisking to create an emulsion. Add the lobster meat to the pan, and gently stir to incorporate it with the butter.
To plate, spoon 4–6 ounces of mac and cheese into the center of 8 pasta bowls or slope-sided plates. Fan 3 slices of paper thin truffles on top. Divide the lobster and sauce evenly among the plates.
Alternatively, carefully mix the lobster meat and butter into the pasta and cheese combination, and then transfer to a casserole dish that’s been buttered or sprayed with cooking spray. Cover, and place in a warm oven until ready to serve. Top with thin truffle slices and serve.