- 2 ounces 100% agave silver/blanco tequila, divided plus ½ ounce for rimming
- 1 tablespoon (or more if necessary) kosher salt, for rimming
- 4 limes, divided
- ½ small Hamlin or Valencia orange
- 2 tablespoons light agave nectar (you can also use agave syrup)
- ¾ cup ice cubes, about 3-4 large cubes, plus more as desired
- Additional lime and orange wedges, for garnish (optional)
Pour ½ ounce of the tequila into a small saucer. Spread the kosher salt in a separate small saucer. Dip the rim of a martini or other wide rimmed glass into the tequila (you can also use a wedge of lime). Lift the glass out of the tequila and hold upside down for 10 seconds to allow for slight evaporation. Next, dip the glass into the salt to coat the rim. Set aside.
Halve the limes, cut two thin slices for garnish from 1 and set aside. Juice the halved limes and orange into the bottom of a Boston-style cocktail shaker. Add the agave nectar and mix. Strain the juice mixture through the cocktail strainer into another glass. Discard the seeds and return the juices to the shaker. Add the remaining 1 ½ ounces of tequila and any remaining tequila on the saucer. Add the ice to the shaker, cover, and shake for 30 seconds. Strain the mixture through a cocktail strainer into the prepared glass, garnish with reserved lime slice and optional citrus wedges, and serve immediately.