Luke's Organic Lentils
Lentils are great as a vegetable side dish. These are quick to make, healthy, and flavorful.
- 1 Cup dried red organic lentils
- 2 Teaspoons grapeseed oil, divded
- 2 Teaspoons organic butter, divided in 2 pieces
- 1/4 small organic celery root, small dice
- 1 organic leek, well washed and lifted out of the water bath, small dice
- 1 small red organic Fresno chile, small dice
- 1 organic garlic, minced
- 1/2 organic onion, small dice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh organic thyme, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon organic parsley, chopped
- 1/2 Cup organic chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a medium sauce pan, boil 5 cups of water. Add lentils. Cook for about 10 minutes or until almost al dente. Drain and set aside. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil on medium-high heat. Add a teaspoon of butter and cook celery root. Once celery root is browned a bit on the outside, remove from pan and set aside. In the same saute pan, add another teaspoon of oil. Add leeks and cook for 1 minute. Add onions to the pan. Cook for about a minute Add a bit of salt and pepper.
Add last teaspoon of butter and let it melt. Add garlic and Fresno chile to the pan. Stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add drained lentils to the pan. Add chicken broth. Add thyme and parsley. Combine the ingredients.
Salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat to high and cook until lentils are soft and liquid has evaporated. Add celery root at the last minute.