- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 1 Cup shredded organic carrot
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced organic tomatoes (with garlic, oregano, and basil or stewed tomatoes)
- 3 1/2 Cups organic mushroom or vegetable stock
- 1 Cup shredded fresh organic spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 3/4 Cup dried organic lentils
- 6 organic bell peppers
- 1 Cup cooked rice
- 1/2 Cup shredded vegan organic Cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook, stirring until lightly browned. Stir in the shredded carrots, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes (with juice), stock, and dried lentils. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 35 minutes. Stir in cooked rice, spinach, and Cheddar cheese.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Trim tops of bell peppers. Scoop out membrane and seeds and rinse well. Fill each pepper with about 1 cup of lentil mixture.
Place peppers in aa 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Add 1 cup of water into the bottom of the dish. Cover with foil and bake 45 to 60 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Remove the foil; top each pepper with 1 tablespoon shredded Cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.