Now that the weather is getting warmer, it's the perfect time to enjoy Korean bibim gook soo. This cold noodle dish is served in a spicy sauce and topped with a hard-boiled egg, fresh cucumber slices, sliced Japanese pear, kimchi, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. It can be made vegetarian or for meat lovers, with sliced beef. This recipe is a modern take on the tradional Korean dish, with a fruity sauce that adds a little sweet to the spice.
The sauce in this recipe tastes better the longer it sits, allowing the flavors to develop. If you cannot find rice syrup, corn syrup can be used as a substitute.
- 7 3/4 Ounces Fuji apples, unpeeled, core removed, and chopped
- 1/2 Cup canned pineapple chunks in pineapple juice
- 1/4 Cup chopped Fresno peppers
- 1/4 Cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sake
- 1/2 Cup Korean coarse red pepper powder, also known as gochugaru
- 1/2 Cup rice syrup
- 1/3 Cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Korean red pepper paste, also known as gochujang
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce
- 3/4 Tablespoons salt
- 1/2 Cup sesame oil
- 1/5 Cup lemon-lime soda, such as Sprite
- 14 Ounces somen noodles
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut in half
- 1/2 Asian pear, peeled and sliced
- 1 Cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- Dash of sesame seeds for garnish
Prepare the sauce for the noodles by blending together the apples, pineapple chunks with the juices, fresno, and red bell pepper. Purée until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and add the brown sugar and sesame oil, whisking until combined. Let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the somen noodles and cook according to the package directions. Rinse in cold water and drain.
Right before serving, add the Sprite to the sauce and mix. Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the noodles and mix well until the noodles are fully coated. Add more sauce if needed, reserving any remaining for next time. Portion the noodles into 4 bowls. Top with ½ a boiled egg each, julienned cucumber, pear slices, ¼ cup kimchi, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve immediately.