- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 Pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 Cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 12 Ounces Irish ale
- 8 Ounces sharp Irish Cheddar cheese, grated, plus more for serving
- 3 Tablespoons cream, for garnish
- Basil, for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
Heat a large pot over medium heat, and add the olive oil and butter. Stir in the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft and just beginning to caramelize, about 10-15 minutes.
Add in the potatoes, stock, and ale. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Blend the soup until smooth.
Return the soup to the heat, and slowly stir in the grated cheese, one handful at a time, until it has all melted. Taste and season as desired.
Serve the soup with a splash of cream, a few basil leaves, a sprinkling of cheese, and a pinch of red pepper flakes on top.