- 1 large sweet white onion - diced
- 8 Cups low salt beef or vegetable broth
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- Star anise (3-4)
- dried chili peppers to taste (3-4 roughly chopped)
- 1/8 Teaspoon whole peppercorns
- Rib eye steak cut into small paper thin bite sized pieces (easiest if you freeze in advance or cut into small chunks and pound until thin between sheets or saran wrap)
- 8 Fresh Shrimp - shelled and deveined
- 4 Fresh Shrimp - shelled and deveined
- 4 Frozen Potstickers or Shumai Dumplings
- 7 Ounces Udon Noodles or Thin Pasta
- 2 Cups Chopped Bok Choy or Napa Cabbage
- 2 Cups Fresh Mushrooms - Chopped into bite sized pieces
- Optional - Chopped Fresh Cilantro as a garnish
1. Sauté Onion until caramelized.
2. Add stock, garlic and spices and simmer for 20 minutes. You can add the chili peppers at the end or omit them to reduce the spiciness.
3. Add the pasta and dumplings and boil for about 8 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp, thinly sliced beef and vegetables. Boil for about 3 minutes (when the shrimp is cooked through).
5. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro.
6. Serve with dipping sauces on the side.