Heirloom Tomatoes with Cilantro and Mint
A splash of white wine not only brightens this salad but gives it a whiff of sophistication. You can use whatever soft herbs you have on hand, but the mint and cilantro combination is among my favorites and a nice departure from the classic tomato-basil pairing.
- 6 heirloom tomatoes in a variety of shapes and colors, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 Tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced finely
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Splash of white wine
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place the tomatoes and their juices in a serving bowl or on a serving tray. Scatter the mint, cilantro, and red onion over the tomatoes followed by the avocado. Drizzle the olive oil on top, followed by the lemon juice, and white wine. Season with the salt and pepper and toss well.