Colorful, flavorful heirloom tomatoes star in these classic sandwiches. Also try making a BLT salad: Stir the mayonnaise and pesto into 2 tablespoons of your favorite vinaigrette, then toss with lots of chopped lettuce, tomatoes, crumbled bacon or tempeh, and homemade croutons.
- 8 slices whole-grain sandwich bread, grilled or toasted
- 1 Tablespoon store-bought pesto or vegan pesto (optional)
- 1 Pound assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Finishing salt, such as fleur de sel or Maldon, to taste
- 1 Cup chopped lettuce
- 8 Ounces bacon, cooked crisp, or tempeh bacon strips, cooked according to the package directions
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
Lay the bread out on a work surface. Combine the mayonnaise and pesto in a bowl and spread evenly over 1 side of each bread slice. Season the tomatoes with salt and layer onto half of the bread slices. Top the tomatoes with bacon and lettuce, and cover with the remaining bread slices. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal and pile onto a platter.