Healthy and Delicious Huevos Rancheros
“This is a great way to start any weekend; the flavors and textures in this portion-controlled breakfast are nothing short of spectacular! This dish is something that takes a little more time than many morning meals, but it produces the ultimate breakfast, one that’s rich in nutrients, flavors, textures, and colors. Plus, it’s a meal that keeps me fueled and satisfied for hours!” — Chef Jason Roberts, author of Good Food Fast: Deliciously Healthy Gluten-Free Meals for People on the Go
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and finely diced
- ½ small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 plus ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 small lime
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, well drained
- ¼ Cup water
- ¼ Teaspoon ground cilantro seed
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado, skin and seed removed and roughly diced
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stems washed and chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix the diced tomatoes, onion, and jalapeño with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a little lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and then set the tomato salsa aside.
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, lightly fry the garlic in ¼ cup olive oil over moderate heat without letting it change color. Then add the beans. Using a fork, roughly crush the beans; add ¼ cup water along with a good pinch of salt and the ground cilantro seed. Cook over low heat until the mixture is warmed through and starts to thicken.
In a large, dry skillet, toast each corn tortilla on both sides (if you have a stove-top griddle pan, that’s even better). Then, in the same skillet, lay down 2 tortillas and spread each evenly with a quarter of the crushed black beans. Top with the remaining tortillas and spoon on the remaining black beans, creating a little well. Crack an egg into the well of each tortilla.
Place the skillet into the oven for approximately 6–8 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
Remove the skillet from the oven. Serve with the diced avocado, tomato salsa, and cilantro.