Stack apples, butter lettuce, and sweet potatoes for this fun-to-eat salad-on-a-stick. This recipe comes from Hidden Valley Ranch and was created by speaker, radio host, parent, and award-winning author of Bobblehead Dad, Jim Higley.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch-thick slices (should yield at least 24 slices)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
- 1 head red and/or green butter lettuce, cut into 24 wedges
- 2 apples, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks (24 total)
- 1/2 Cup Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing
- 8 wooden skewers
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Place the sweet potato slices on a sheet tray in an even layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning mix. Toss well to coat. Roast for about 20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender but still firm enough to hold their shape when punctured with a skewer. Remove and let cool slightly.
On one skewer, spear one wedge of lettuce. Since butter lettuce is softer, pile several pieces together to make the wedge.
Follow this with a slice of sweet potato and an apple chunk. Repeat twice more with this same pattern on the first skewer. Repeat with the remaining skewers until the ingredients are gone.
Drizzle the skewers with the dressing. Serve immediately.