This guacamole recipe, made with perfectly ripe avocados, lime, cilantro, chiles and red onion, is the perfect accompaniment to tortilla chips and Tex-Mex dishes. The key here is perfectly ripe avocados, they should be a bit soft to the touch. To speed up the ripening process, place rock-hard avocados in a paper bag with an apple or a banana for two to three days.
- 3 ripe avocados, cut in half and pitted
- 1/4 large red onion, finely diced (more if you love onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place avocado in a medium bowl.
Use a fork or spoon to mash avocados until preferred consistency (some people like chunky, some prefer smooth).
Stir in onion, garlic, lime juice, habanero and cilantro.
Season with salt and pepper.