Ground Beef Taco Peppers
This is a gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-sodium dinner dish that is easy to prepare and filled with fiber. It's so good, it'll become a family favorite after just one meal!
- 4 red or yellow bell peppers
- 1 Pound grass fed ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup cooked brown or black rice or 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 Cup fresh or canned corn (optional)
- 1 Cup fresh pico de gallo
- 2 Teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon paprika
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- Chopped avocado, for garnish
- Scallions, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Clean, cut off the top and core the peppers. Place them into an 8-by-8 baking pan, standing up. If you cannot get peppers to stand up straight, stuff foil around them to keep them upright. Roast the peppers for 20 minutes in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes.
While peppers are roasting, brown meat and chopped onions in a large skillet until cooked through. Add beans, cooked rice, corn, pico de gallo, spices, and stir over a medium heat until combined. Spoon meat mixture into upright, roasted peppers, and place back into oven for 15 minutes.
Serve immediately and garnish with avocado and scallions if desired.