- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ½-inch thick rounds
- 3/4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Ounces halloumi cheese
- 4 burger buns
- 4 Teaspoons pesto
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 lettuce leaves, cut in half
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
Place the sliced eggplant in a shallow dish.
Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper together. Pour the whisked ingredients over the eggplant rounds and toss well to coat.
Slice the halloumi into ½-inch thick slices.
Heat the grill. Arrange the eggplant slices on the grill, and cook for about 6 minutes on each side, until the eggplant is cooked.
Grill the halloumi on both sides, until golden grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side.
Assemble the burger. Spread mayonnaise on 2 halves of a burger bun. Take one half of a bun, and stack the eggplant, halloumi, and 1 teaspoon of pesto on to it. Top with tomato and lettuce. Place the other half of the bun on top. Serve immediately.