- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Cups stale cornbread, cut into cubes
- 1 Pound ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 ear of corn, cooked and cut from the cob
Heat grillpan to medium heat or oven to 450 degrees F.
Toss dried cornbread with 3 T olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Spread cornbread in an even layer on grill pan or if baking in oven, on a baking sheet.
Grill or bake until toasted and golden. This may take 15-20 minutes. If grilling, watch carefully because bread can burn quickly. Set cornbread aside.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, more salt and pepper. Whisk the remaining olive oil with the vinegar and drizzle over the salad.
Add basil, oregano, parsley, avocado and corn and toss gently. When ready to serve add cornbread croutons and let sit for about 10 minutes so dressing has a chance to permeate the croutons. Garnish with more fresh herbs.