Green Tea: Brewing
Due to its high tannin levels, the brewing process for green tea is fairly precise.
If you’re using a Gaiwan or Yixing teapot, you may want to have an extra container to pour the brewed tea into.
- 6 Ounces spring water
- 1 Tablespoon green tea
1. Heat your water to the desired temperature.
2. While this is heating, set your timer to the prescribed brewing time, and place your tea into your brewing container.
3. Once the water is hot, fill your cups to begin warming them up.
4. Pour a small amount of water into your brewing container over your tea, and swirl it around for about 5 seconds. This serves two purposes: it raises the temperature of the container to the temperature of the water, and it rinses any dust or small pieces off of the tea. Immediately pour out and dispose of the rinse water.
5. Next, start your timer and quickly fill your container again with hot water, all the way up this time.
6. As soon as the timer goes off, pour out the water you’ve left in your cups, and then immediately pour your tea into the cups (or an additional container). If using a strainer basket, you may simply remove the basket.
7. Drink and enjoy!