Green Chile Hot Chocolate
No really, it's awesome: Executive chef Andrew Cooper at the Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe created this spicy variation of hot chocolate.
- 6 Cups milk
- 1 1/2 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup Piloncillo sugar (unrefined sugar commonly used in Mexican cooking)
- 1/4 Cup semisweet chocolate
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 Teaspoon green chile powder
- 1 "Big Jim" green chile
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, to garnish
Whisk together sugar, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, and green chile powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, chocolate, and 1 "Big Jim" chile and cook, stirring, until hot. Add vanilla and stir. Strain mixture through fine sieve and remove whole green chile.
Pour chocolate into serving cups and top with whipped cream (if desired). Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, green chile powder, and nutmeg, and serve with a cinnamon stick (for stirring).