Green Bean Mushroom Madeira Casserole
Fresh mushrooms, Madeira wine, mascarpone cheese and fresh green beans simmered in savory broth come together to create an utterly delicious, creamy and flavorful side dish. This elegant and creative spin on green bean casserole is sure to become your must-have favorite side dish.
Recipe courtesy of Swanson. Click here for more information.
- 2 Cups cubed Italian bread
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 2 large shallot, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Madeira wine
- 2 Cups Swanson Chicken Broth, or similar product
- 8 Cups green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 container (8 ounces) mascarpone
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Step 1: Place the bread and olive oil into a food processor. Cover and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Step 2: Heat half the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms and shallot are tender, stirring occasionally.
Step 3: Increase the heat to high. Stir in the wine and heat to a boil. Cook until the wine is reduced by half. Add the broth and green beans and heat to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the mascarpone and cook until melted.
Step 4: Stir the flour and remaining butter in a small bowl until smooth. Stir the flour mixture in the skillet. Spoon the bean mixture into a shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture.
Step 5: Heat the broiler to low. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 4 minutes or until the bread crumb mixture is golden brown.