Egg Rolls with Sweet & Sour Crab
I am a spice girl, as you can tell by this recipe. Here, a crispy wrapper is filled with the perfect blend of sweet and sour vegetables and crab. These egg rolls offer plenty of zing; if you’re not a big fan of heat, cut back a little on the Sriracha or chile sauce.
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 Cup packed finely shredded Napa cabbage
- 1/4 Cup ketchup
- 1-3 Tablespoon Sriracha or other hot chile sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 Cup sake
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 Ounces fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked over for shells
- Nonstick cooking spray, for the pan
- One package egg roll wrappers
- 2 scallions, sliced on a bias, for garnish
In a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat, heat the sesame oil; add the onion and let it sweat for about 3 minutes to soften (do not allow it to brown). Add the red pepper, garlic, ginger, and cabbage; turn off the heat and transfer the vegetable mixture to a medium bowl. Using the same pan, over medium heat, bring the ketchup, Sriracha, sugar, sake, lime juice, and oyster sauce to a boil, whisking constantly. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of water. Add this to the pan, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. When the bubbles begin to get larger and the sauce is visibly thick, turn off the heat. Add this sauce to the bowl with the vegetables, then add the crab. Mix well and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 12-well classic cupcake pan with nonstick cooking spray and line each well with an egg roll wrapper, creating a cup. Divide the crab mixture among the wells, leaving the wrapper open. Bake until the egg roll wrapper is golden brown and crispy at the edges, 20-25 minutes. Let the egg rolls rest in the pan for 5 minutes, then use your hands to lift them from the pan, using the wrappers as handles. Garnish the egg rolls with fresh scallions.