Italian recipes are my favorite especially when Eggplant is included. This is a hearty bolognese and a paleo recipe that is prepared in one pot! You can add any of your favorite vegetables such as peppers or zucchini. You serve over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles or your favorite pasta! Enjoy.
Cindy's Tip: You can make this meatless by omitting the meat and add peppers and zucchini to make this extra hearty. You can also substitute ground pork for the sausage.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pork sausage (hot or sweet), casings removed
- 1/2 Pound ground hamburg
- 2 Pounds eggplant, peeled and chopped (about 2 small eggplants)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 Teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
1. In a large dutch oven over medium heat add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once oil is hot add in sausage and cook for about 5 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break apart.
2. Add ground beef and continue to sauté for 5 minutes. (If there is fat at the bottom of the pan use a white paper towel).
3. Add Add remainder olive oil then add in eggplant, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic. Let sauté for about 10 minutes. Add in mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
4. Add crushed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, basil, parsley and oregano. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Taste for any additional seasonings.
6. Enjoy over sauté zucchini noodles or your favorite pasta!