Dinosaur Bar-B-Que's 'Mutha Sauce'
From the popular restaurant chain Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, this mother hen of a sauce sure knows how to roost her chicks. It's featured throughout the restaurant's cookbook, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse, and is a classic barbecue sauce that will perfectly douse any dish you're making.
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Cup minced onion
- 1/2 Cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Pinch of each kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- One 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 Cups ketchup
- 1 Cup water
- 3/4 Cups Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup molasses
- 1/4 Cup cayenne sauce
- 1/4 Cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 Teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke (optional)
Pour the oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers, and jalapeños and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Swirl in the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge til ready to use.