Detox Kale Salad
“This is my go-to lunch. I call it a detox salad, because it’s packed with nutrient-rich vegetables and has protein from the quinoa. TTo save time, I stop by the Whole Foods salad bar and stock up on shredded carrots, red cabbage, and cooked quinoa. Feel free to toss in some roast chicken if you want a heartier meal.” — Anna Watson Carl, author of The Yellow Table
Reprinted with permission from The Yellow Table, published in 2015 by Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. © Anna Watson Carl. Photography by Signe Birck.
- 4 Cups chopped kale (curly, Lacinato, red, or a combination), stems removed
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 1 Cup shredded red cabbage
- 3/4 Cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, toss together the kale, carrots, cabbage, quinoa, and avocado.
In a separate bowl, pour the lemon juice. Add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, or another splash of lemon if you like. Serve immediately.
Store the salad, in an airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 1 day.