Dena's Irish Soda Bread
Quick, easy and very Irish, this Irish Soda Bread recipe is a long-honored house specialty at The Caldwell House Bed & Breakfast in Salisbury Mills, New York, and a festive way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day all month long. Take a piece, or two, before a little leprechaun comes around and eats the whole thing!
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Golden Raisins
- 1 Tablespoon Caraway Seeds
- 2/3 Cups Sugar
1. Mix flour, sugar, baking power, baking soda, salt, caraway seeds and raisins together until nicely blended.
2. Add beaten eggs, buttermulk and melted butter.
3. Stir and pour into loaf pan.
4. Bake at 350-degrees for about an hour (until toothpick comes out clean).
*Try to wait until it cools to have a piece, lathered with butter!