- 1 Cup steel-cut oats, such as Quaker Quick 3-Minute
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 firm, ripe plantains, peeled and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- ½ Cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- Fresh sliced avocado, optional
- Cotija or queso fresco cheese, optional
Prepare the oats according to package directions and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook the plantains until golden and slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes, turning once after 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion and green pepper until the onions are translucent and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the beans, stock, cumin, and some salt and pepper, and cook until the beans are heated through, 5 to 8 minutes more. Top the oatmeal with the black beans and plantains. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, and cheese.