- 1 Cup all-purpose flour (unbleached, organic)
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour (organic)
- 1/4 Cup flaxseeds, ground
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 Cup honey
- 1 Cup Biotta Mountain Cranberry juice
- 1/3 Cup buttermilk (see note)
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest
- 1 apple, unpeeled, finely chopped or shredded
- 1/2 Cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 Cup nuts, finely chopped (optional, your choice of walnuts, pecans, almonds)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients including all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseeds, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and honey.
Then, add Biotta Mountain Cranberry juice, buttermilk, coconut oil, vanilla, and orange zest. (These are the "wet" ingredients.)
Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir until there are no more large lumps.
Mix only until combined. Overmixing results in a tougher textured bread.
Carefully fold in the apple, dried cranberries, and nuts (if using).
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and lightly spread to smooth top.
Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, rotating pan half way through to ensure even browning.
Test doneness by poking the center of the bread with a toothpick.
If it comes out clean, the bread is done. Allow bread to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Slice and serve with butter and a drizzle of honey.
This bread stores well, covered, at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Note: To make your own buttermilk, simply stir in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to 1/3 cup milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.