You must wear gloves when making this recipe or dealing with hot peppers.
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, washed, split, and seeded
- 8 Cups distilled vinegar
- 5 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 yellow bell peppers, washed, split, and seeded
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled and remove the germ
- 3 shallots
- 1 Cup blended oil or grape seed oil
- 2 Cups water
- 4 Cups sugar
Roughly chop the chiles and place them in a bowl.
Pour half of the vinegar over the chiles and add 3 tablespoons of the kosher salt, and mix. Allow to ferment at room temperature uncovered for 4 days.
Grill the yellow peppers until nicely charred. Roughly chop the garlic and shallots.
Place the oil in a medium saucepan and add the charred yellow peppers, fermented scotch bonnets, water, and sugar, and let simmer on low heat until tender.
Add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. The consistency should be thicker than most sauces, almost like a glaze. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator