This is a "favorite recipe of a friend, Judy Pompei," writes Sue Spitler in "1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes." She uses a rump roast, but a chuck roast would work well, too. This recipe has been adapted to include a can of chicken broth for more flavor.
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 beef rump roast, about 3 pounds, or 1 chuck roast, about 4 pounds
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
Place half of the onions in a slow cooker; top with roast.
Top roast with remaining onions, broth, garlic, bay leaves, coffee, soy sauce, oregano and pepper to taste.
Cover; cook on low until beef is tender, six to eight hours, turning roast once or twice.
Slice beef; serve with broth and onions.