Classic French Onion Dip Appetizer
This rich French appetizer, served simply with potato chips, is the perfect cocktail accompaniment.
This recipe is courtesy of Food Network.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
- 2 large shallots, sliced into 1/8 inch thick rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Cups sour cream
- 1 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon celery salt
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chives, finely chopped, for garnish
- Potato chips, for serving
In a large sauté pan set over a medium-high heat, melt the butter. When the butter starts to sizzle, add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, until golden-brown. Add the shallots and cook for 8-10 minutes, until they are dark brown. Add the garlic, and sauté for 2 more minutes. Remove pan from the heat, and let cool for 5 minutes. Chop the onion mixture into ¼ inch pieces. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Fold in the onion mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Garnish with chives and serve with potato chips.