Chorizo Stew with Chickpeas, Spinach, and Lemon Recipe
This hearty stew is full of flavor with a generous helping of dried chorizo, cinnamon, cumin and paprika. Opt for low-sodium chicken stock, canned tomatoes, and chickpeas to balance out the saltiness of the chorizo.
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces dried, uncured chorizo, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- One 14 ½ ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Heat a pot over medium heat. When the pot is hot, add the onion and garlic, followed by the olive oil. Sauté the onions until they begin to soften and add the sliced chorizo, coating it in the olive oil, garlic, and onion.
Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, chickpeas, and all of the spices. Bring the stew to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until the soup begins to thicken. With a measuring cup, scoop out ½ cup of the chickpeas and mash with a fork.
Pour the mashed chickpeas back into the pot and stir. Just before serving, add the spinach and stir until the spinach wilts. Serve immediately with crusty bread and lemon wedges.