Chorizo Chile Con Queso Lite Recipe
This dip is packed with chunks of spicy-hot chorizo, punctuated with fire-roasted chiles, and speckled with bits of fresh tomato. The cheese, of course, isn’t sliced from a boxed loaf; it’s a flavorful, reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend.
Skinny Dippers: Baked Tortilla Chips, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, crusty peasant bread, baked potato chips, yuca or taro root chips
Adapted from "Skinny Dips" by Diane Morgan.
- 2 ounces/55 grams bulk pork chorizo
- 1/2 cup/70 grams diced white onion
- 1 cup/192 grams diced fresh tomato
- 2 Anaheim chiles, diced
- 1 tablespoon diced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 cups/225 grams shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup/240 milliliters low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green/spring onions, including green tops
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro/fresh coriander leaves
In a 3-quart/3-liter saucepan over medium heat, sauté the chorizo, stirring constantly and using the side of a spatula to break up the chunks, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, tomato, and both chiles. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions soften, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the cheese, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and sour cream and stir until heated through. Stir in the green/spring onions and cilantro/fresh coriander.
Transfer to a fondue pot set over an alcohol or Sterno flame to keep warm. Serve immediately.