If kale is not available, try Swiss chard, collard greens, or cabbage in this recipe.
- Nonstick cooking spray, such as PAM
- ½ Pound boneless country-style pork ribs
- 1 Cup diced carrots
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ Teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Cup chopped white onion
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 Cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 14.5-ounce cans or 1 28-ounce can petite-diced tomatoes, such as Hunt's, un-drained
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 Cup water
Spray the inside of 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with the cooking spray; set aside. Spray a medium skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the pork; brown on all sides.
Layer, in order, the carrots, pork, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper, onion, chickpeas, kale, and tomatoes with their juice in the slow cooker. Add the chicken broth and water.
Cover; cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove the pork, shred and stir back into the soup.
Remove and discard the bay leaves before serving.