Bring this colorful salad featuring cherries to summer picnics and barbecues. Green lentils cook quickly and stay firm in salads, but you can substitute other types of lentils if you like — just be sure to adjust cooking times and drain the lentils when they are tender but still hold their shape.
- 1 1/2 Cup dried green French lentils
- 5 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 Teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 Teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Cups fresh cherries (about 1 pound), pitted and halved
- 1 Cup chopped basil
Combine the lentils and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, scallions, salt, and pepper. Add the warm lentils and toss until coated. Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate if not serving immediately. Toss with the cherries and basil just before serving. Season with more salt or vinegar, to taste.