- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil (corn or canola is best)
- 3/4 Cups flour
- 2 Cups onions, chopped
- 1 Cup celery, chopped
- 1 Cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 Cups seafood stock
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Cups sliced okra
- 1/8 Cup gumbo filé
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 Pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 Pound crabmeat
- oysters (optional)
- white rice, cooked
Place oil and flour in a pot, stir well and brown to make a roux.
When flour is browned to the color of milk chocolate or an old copper penny, add chopped vegetables and sauté on low heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
Gradually add stock, stirring occasionally until blended.
Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
Remove lid and cook 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add shrimp, okra and filé and continue to cook on low hear uncovered for 15 minutes.
Serve in a bowl with rice.
A serving of 1/3 cup rice to 1 1/4 cup gumbo is the way it's done in New Orleans.