- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 Cup Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño (or serrano chile), finely chopped
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 8 Ounces ground pork
- 1 Cup canned, crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons undefined
- 2 Tablespoons Cholula Chipotle
- 2 Teaspoons liquid smoke
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 large hamburger buns
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, Cholula Chipotle, and liquid smoke. Set sauce aside. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeño. Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium and sauté until onions start to become translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until light brown and tender, about 3 minutes.
Generously season the ground beef and ground pork with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook through, about 10 minutes. Add the sauce to the pan and gently simmer for another 20 – 30 minutes or until the sauce becomes thick.
Spoon a generous amount of the meat on a warmed hamburger bun. Top with a slice of pepper jack cheese.