Having company over for dinner? Impress guests with this spicy, refreshing swordfish entrée. The sauce is a mix of avocado, onion, peppers, vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, and sambal oelek, a ready-made chile sauce that adds a little tang as well as heat. It comes together in minutes, while the fish is cooking on the grill.
Click here to see all grilling recipes.
- One 8-ounce, ¾-inch-thick swordfish steak, skin and bloodline removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 Tablespoon very finely diced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon very finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 Teaspoon very finely diced serrano pepper
- 4 Tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sambal oelek
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 Ounces fresh shelled crabmeat
Build a charcoal fire under a grill and let the flames die out.
Season the swordfish with salt and pepper, to taste, and brush lightly on both sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Grill the swordfish 4 minutes on each side for medium to medium-rare.
In a bowl, combine the avocado, onion, peppers, vinegar, lime juice, sambal, cilantro, and remaining olive oil. Season with salt, to taste. Place the swordfish in the center of a plate. Top with the avocado mixture and place the fresh crab on top of the avocado mixture. Serve immediately.