This salad is for the celery lover, as it uses the root, heart, and leaves. It's a study in contrasts and colors, with textural crunch from the sliced celery heart and matchstick-cut root playing against the delicate tender leaves. The soft green of celery is layered with the darker tones of plucked whole parsley leaves. Look in a specialty food store or gourmet grocer for Moscatel vinegar, which has a delicate, mildly acidic flavor that complements celery root. Sherry vinegar or white balsamic vinegar is an acceptable substitute.
*Note: Use only the lightest green, innermost ribs — the heart — of the celery.
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Moscatel vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 Cup golden raisins
- One 12-ounce celery root, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 3/4 Cups thinly sliced celery heart*
- 1/2 Cup lightly packed celery leaves
- 1/4 Cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the raisins and set aside for at least 15 minutes to allow the raisins to plump. In a large bowl, combine the celery root, celery heart, celery leaves, and parsley and toss to mix.
Whisk together the dressing briefly, then pour just enough over the salad to coat the ingredients lightly and toss well. (You may not need all of the dressing.) Taste and adjust seasoning. Set the salad aside at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld before serving.