This soup is comforting and wintery while also having a bit of zest and spice just to keep it interesting. The addition of coconut milk to this classic soup adds a light creaminess. It's one of the simplest soups to make, yet is an easy crowd-pleaser.
Can be made ahead and re-heated.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 ounce large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- Pinch of salt
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 pounds carrots, chopped
- One ounce 13 1/2-ounce coconut milk
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a pot and let simmer for 5 minutes until the onions begin to brown. Add the stock, carrots, and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Blend fully with an immersion blender or transferring to a food processor in batches, and warming again as needed.