This salad is a wonderful way to take leftover carne asada and salsa and transform them into an easy meal. The combinations of flavors and textures make this a fun dish to enjoy any time of year, but if it’s warm outside, put on some salsa or merengue music and enjoy a meal al fresco.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced jícama
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cooked skirt steak
- 1 cup your choice of salsa
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, jícama, onions, oil, half the cheese, the vinegar, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Arrange the salad on a large platter. Slice the skirt steak into thin strips and arrange on top of the salad vegetables. Spoon over the salsa and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Garnish with the pumpkins seeds, if you wish, before serving.