- 1 loaf hearty white bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse, cut into one inch pieces
- 8 Ounces thick cut bacon, cut into one half inch pieces
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken broth, such as Swanson
- 2 cans (eight ounces each) whole canned oysters, drained, reserving liquid
Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Divide the bread cubes between 2 rimmed baking sheets.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the bread cubes are golden. Let the bread cubes cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheets on wire racks.
Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
Cook the bacon in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Pour off any fat.
Heat the butter in the saucepan. Add the onions, celery, garlic, and thyme and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the broth and reserved oyster liquid. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the bread cubes, bacon, and oysters and mix lightly. Spoon the stuffing mixture into a greased 3 1/2-quart casserole. Cover the casserole.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the stuffing mixture is hot.