- 2 Teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 Teaspoon red curry paste, more to taste
- 2 Teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, about 4 cups
- 2 Cups low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 Pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 Cup shredded coconut, toasted (optional)
- Lime wedges
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry paste, sugar and salt and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in squash, broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and simmer just until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro, sprinkle with coconut and serve with lime wedges on the side.