These floured and fried broccoli florets are a uniquely crunchy way to enjoy this common dinner table vegetable.
- 16 Ounces frozen chopped broccoli, steamed
- 1/4 Pound cooked bacon, crumbled into pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced and sautéed
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 Cup shredded cheese, preferably Mexican blend or Colby/Jack
- 4 Cups canola oil, for frying
- Italian breadcrumbs, as needed
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1/4 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
In a bowl, mix together the broccoli, bacon, onion, flour, eggs, and cheese until well blended. Refrigerate the mixture for about 1 hour to help bind the mix to make preparation easier.
In a bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey, and vinegar until all ingredients are combined to form th Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.
Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and set it aside. Form the broccoli mixture into meatball-sized balls. Form each ball around an ice pop stick and roll the ball in the breadcrumbs to coat them. Fry the balls in canola oil heated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes or until they are golden brown. Serve the Broccoli Rockets hot with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.