We love short ribs and making this Bolognese was amazing. It was hearty and real paleo comfort food. All of the groceries are from Shop Rite in E. Hartford/Manchester, CT and it we froze the leftover to enjoy another evening. You really need to give this recipe a try and enjoy over pasta, spaghetti squash or roasted butternut squash.
Tip: To help the sauce thicken add in a small can of tomato paste or a thickening agent such as (cornstarch, arrowroot powder, etc)
How to prepare a spaghetti squash!
Spaghetti squash is a great healthy alternative to pasta! It is very easy to prepare and served with this dish will be a perfect dinner!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and slice squash in half the long way – Remove the seeds with a spoon. Place open side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for about 35 minutes. Until a fork goes into the skin easily.
2. Same as above but if you are not comfortable slicing in half make about 12-15 holes by using a metal skewer and roast for 45 minutes. Let cool then sliced.
3. Slice in half and remove seeds with a spoon. Place in a glass baking dish and fill with about 1 1/4 inch of water and microwave for 12 minutes.
4. After you cook the squash using any method take a fork and rub the inside of each half to create spaghetti. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy as pasta!
1. In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat add in oil.
2. Season both sides generously of short ribs with salt and pepper.
3. Add short ribs to the hot pan and cook each side for 4 minutes (only turn once). You want each side to have a nice crust.
4. Add in onion, carrots, garlic and bay leaves to the pot. Stir them around with a wooden spoon. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Reduce temperature to medium and set your oven to 250 degrees F.
6. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover until oven has preheated.
7. Keep the pan covered and place in oven for 6 hours.
8. Remove from oven and using a large spoon remove the top layer of fat.
9. Remove each short rib and let cool until able to handle.
10. On a large wooden board place a short rib down and use 2 forks to shred the meat. Place pack into the pot. Continue with remaining short ribs.
11. Uncovered simmer until the sauce thickens.
12. Enjoy with your favorite pasta or spaghetti squash.