- 1/4 Cup softened butter or canola oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2/3 Cups sugar
- 1/3 Cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup orange juice
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Cups spelt flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups fresh blueberries
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Butter a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin liners. In a large bowl, cream together the butter or oil and sugar. Stir in the applesauce, eggs, orange juice and vanilla extract.
In a second large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, zest, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the butter-egg mixture until just combined. Gently stir in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes.